Thanks for Noticing

As much as I'd like to think that consequences in my classroom are between me and a particular student, there are moments when a "time out" is a fairly public affair. I'm not sure if this phenomenon happens in other classes out there, but some days I swear that someone observing our classroom from afar has a mute button and chooses to press it, eliminating all of the normal noise of literacy centers, exactly as I'm telling someone across the room that scissors are for paper, not for hair and that there's an opening in the "time out" chair. Ideally, I'd be able to deliver that message up close and personal, but sometimes scissors across the room require immediate attention.

Last week, I was sitting with Darius, eating lunch. It was, you see, the time for eating lunch. Antonie, however, had not gotten this message and thought instead that it was the time for leaning within four inches of the kid across from you and making silly faces.

"Antoine. Bring your lunch and move to the rug."

"Caught him" commented Darius under his breath.

Yes. Yes I did catch him. Thanks for noticing.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Ha ha, sounds like a pretty usual story. Glad to know others encounter these sorts of issues too. From Alissa@ Excuse Me Mrs.C!

Sherri said...

I agree! I see my students in small groups for social skills, and pick them up from their classrooms to bring them to mine.....and it's usually during these "walks" that some sort of anti-social skill must be practiced so that other staff members might observe my attempts at controlling it!

Too funny.....

TeachEnEspanol said...

Everything gets dead silent when you start to admonish another student because kids are nosy and they pay attention to you (all the time actually, but especially when things get interesting.) ;)

We are NOT Joking Around, Here

This summer I have been getting lots of advice on the impending baby situation that will be happening this fall.   Highlights of this advi...